The role schooling plays in our societyhttps://www.prowritersdom.com

 

 https://www.prowritersdom.com

The role schooling plays in our society

Place: Mathematics at Dundalk Institute of technology. Year: 2017, as a Freshman. Mrs. Linda, our mathematics teacher, has brought a continuous assessment test for the class to test our understanding of Algebra and calculus. This was a significant test that would be used to grade us in the final exam, and the grades would determine if we were going to progress to the next class. Considering that we had studied half of the term without any interruptions, the teacher was sure that it was an appropriate time to bring the test and try our ability to handle the calculations in the test. As we were doing the test, the teacher noticed how uncomfortable I was during the test and asked where everything was okay, and I murmured yes - I - aaa aam – fine though the teacher was not satisfied with my answer as I continued showing discomfort while handling the test.

Unfortunately, time was up, and we handed over the test paper, yet I had not answered most of the questions.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

            During my stay days in school, I ensured that I attended all the mathematics lessons where the teacher had a syllabus to cover each specific term. I learned different calculations, including Algebra, Calculus, pre-calculus, linear programming, statistics, differential equations, and probability. Our teacher taught Mrs. Linda, whom we saw as a great scholar in mathematics, as none of the questions that we felt was indeed challenging was difficult for him to handle. I found these topics quite challenging and had always had fears attending any math lesson during my college years (Nathan 1).

            I felt that I should have been introduced to simpler topics while studying mathematics. The topics would include geometry, simpler Algebra, and simpler math topics that we had learned while still a freshman. Mathematics was not my favorite subject, and at one time, I felt that it should have been abolished and a better subject introduced in our schools. The fact that I did not perform well and had difficulty understanding and even practicing the mathematics questions made me believe that mathematics was not the best subject. The teacher's approach to explaining how to calculate the math problems was hard and made me hate the subject in its totality. I felt that the school should have introduced a better engaging subject that any student would not feel worthless while reading it or have much difficulty like the one I faced when learning mathematics.

Conversely, I was not too fond of a doing math calculation and read on something that I knew I would not apply it in the future. I felt that math problems like Algebra, calculus, and linear programming could not be applied in contemporary society, and thus, there was no need to read these units in mathematics.

 

 

I was discouraged that I would sit for so many math lessons


But still would not understand much or have the ability to perform well during exams. Therefore, I firmly believe that mathematics would be better substituted with another subject that fully engages the learner and one with skills that the learner can apply in the future.

Figure 1: Google map. Lecture halls Dundalk institute of technology – Entrance on campus". Inside Dundalk institute. Dundalk institute of technology. Marshes upper, Ireland. July 2016. https://goo.gl/maps/46orqfqKqeLZPWUPA. Accessed 3rd March 2021


Learners go to school to gain knowledge and skills that are important in their future life. The skills and knowledge achieved help the learners be better people in society, earn employment, start their own companies and create employment. I have always believed that any subject learned in school should help me become a great person in society, so any unit that would not have any future importance in the real world made me feel disappointed (Idris 1).  Subjects that the students feel do not directly impact the "job skills" make students feel disgruntled as that is not what they have signed for having paid the school fees. According to Idris, the dissatisfaction could be due to individuals investing so much in the college instead of the benefits evident from society. Sternberg notes that one creature's meat is another creature's poison. As a result, a student may decide to pursue a course that will quickly give him a job and even employ himself and assist society. Still, another will do a course that will take longer to get a job such that he will be employed and practice what he did not learn in school.

Being in school has taught me to be disciplined, get management skills, computer skills, and knowledge, and was also able to get a slot in Tennessee tech university. Idris notes that school is of great importance in the 21st century as it imparts children with skills essential for competition with countries around the globe (1). Students in countries like China, Singapore, and South Korea are imparted with skills to compete in the global economic playing field. They have created a communicative curriculum, one that is tech-savvy, and students learn many languages that prepare them for jobs yet to come (Sternberg 207).

            After completing my schooling at Dundalk tech institute, I applied and joined Tennessee tech university. I joined the university to study computer science which had no relationship with mathematics. I had to drop engineering as I could not continue pursuing the course, having failed in mathematics. Computer science is a marketable course and will help me get the necessary skills to be employed. A university degree is vital in the 21st century as one's success in today's workforce is dependent on education and skills (Anyon 1). I am in university because I understand that a university degree will help in job career satisfaction and success outside the workplace. Being in the university will help me get a job as a computer teacher, software engineer, computer scientist, and I can easily get a job at any data company. I can also start a business dealing with computer hardware and softwares.

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

Work Cited

Anyon. J., Social Class and the Hidden Curriculum of Work. Vol. 162, No. 1, Education, Ideology and The Hidden Curriculum (Winter 1980), pp. 67-92 (26 pages)

Idris. F., Hassan. Z., Yaacob. A., Gill. SK and Awal. N.A.M. The role of education in shaping youth's national identity. UK, teaching and learning congress 2011. Sci Verse ScienceDirect. 59 (2012), 443 -450

Sternberg, Robert J. "What is the purpose of schooling." What dogmatic beliefs harm creativity and higher-level thinking (2012): 207-219.

Nathan. R. Lessons from My Year as a Freshman." Pages 132-39

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defendants being their own lawyers

The Millennial Generation and Popular Culturehttps://www.prowritersdom.com